Sunday, April 7, 2013

Green Giant Salad

I love salad!

A rainbow of green.  

I learned how to make hearty salads from my mom. (Hi mom!) She throws everything she has--greens, chopped veggies, fruit, nuts, and cheese--into a big bowl and serves it up. When I go out to a restaurant and get a salad with only lettuce and tomatoes in it, I think what is this??? To me, salad is a big, meal-sized endeavor full of different flavors and textures. 

This one is definitely filling enough for lunch or dinner, especially if you eat it with a side of homemade hummus (recipe coming soon). It's all-green in honor of spring: lettuce, broccoli, zucchini, peas, pistachios, and--my favorite--avocado.

Dinner. 

Green Giant Salad

2 cups broccoli florets, lightly blanched in salted water
4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
1 cup thawed frozen peas
1 small zucchini, sliced thinly
1/3 cup toasted pistachios
gluten-free salad dressing of your choice (here's mine)
1 avocado, sliced

Combine all the ingredients in a salad bowl and toss with some dressing. Add the avocado just before devouring. 

C'est tout!


No comments:

Post a Comment